Right to declare a third party’s address as a home address (with their consent)

In order to be a party to the proceedings, the victim must register as a civil party, which in particular means they must declare their home address.
They may declare their personal address or that of a third party of their choice, subject to the latter’s express agreement (which may be obtained and formalised by any means). That person will then be responsible for receiving the documents sent to the victim in the course of the procedure and, above all, for notifying the victim without delay of their receipt.

A victim who is afraid of revealing their personal address can declare the address:

For example, of their lawyer, if they have one,
Or an association at whose headquarters they have elected domicile for the purposes of the proceedings,
Or, more generally, any consenting third party of their choice.
The civil party must notify the Public Prosecutor, by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt, of any change in the declared address; if they fail to do so, they may not object to the fact that they have not been informed of certain procedural acts.

I was a victim of a criminal offence: consequences and reactions The rights of victims of a criminal offence Criminal proceedings Who is who in criminal proceedings

Useful contacts Glossary

Top Map Exit